No need to stress about cooking for those High Holiday dinners. Mike Wise, HMI’s co-founder and Co-CEO, has shared his famous brisket recipe with the HMI community!
“My mom was a great cook, and she taught me how to make this brisket. It has become a holiday staple for our family because it brings back nice memories from the past. Plus, it’s delicious! Everyone in my extended family also loves it and uses this same recipe when cooking for their friends and family. I hope the HMI community enjoys this dish that is near and dear to my heart. Shanah Tova (Happy New Year!)” – Mike Wise, HMI co-founder and Co-CEO
- 3-6 lbs of brisket – Trader Joe’s has kosher briskets for a reasonable cost. There is something about using a kosher brisket for the holiday even though we don’t keep kosher in our home.
- 1 large can of tomato paste (or 2 cans of 5lbs or more)
- 2 packs of of Lipton onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup of grape jelly
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 big cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of red wine
- Use tomato paste, Lipton onion soup mix, grape jelly, and brown sugar to make a paste.
- Thinly slice a yellow onion.
- Cover the brisket in the paste mixture and put the onions on both sides of the brisket in a big baking dish.
- Cover the brisket with diced tomatoes and red wine.
- Put in oven at 325° for 5 or so hours until very tender. Flip over every 90 minutes.
- Put in fridge overnight to cool.
- On the day you plan to serve, slice the meat across the grain.
- Reheat for 1 hour at 325° before serving.